Transparent and conservative (A/R)
5/CMP.1, Annex, paragraph 20(b) requires that baselines be 'transparent and conservative':
The baseline net greenhouse gas removals by sinks for a proposed afforestation or reforestation project under the CDM shall be established: ...
- In a transparent and conservative manner regarding the choice of approaches, assumptions, methodologies, parameters, data sources, key factors and additionality, and taking into account uncertainty (5/CMP.1, Annex, paragraph 20(b)).
The Executive Board has clarified that 'transparent' means:
... that assumptions are explicitly explained and choices are substantiated (EB 5, Annex 3, paragraph 10(a)).
...that assumptions are made explicitly and choices are substantiated (CDM Glossary of Terms, Version 03).
The Board has further clarified that 'conservative' means:
In case of uncertainty regarding values of variables and parameters, the establishment of a baseline is considered conservative if the resulting projection of the baseline does not lead to an overestimation of net anthropogenic GHG removals by sinks attributable to an A/R CDM project activity (that is, in the case of doubt, values that generate a higher baseline net GHG removals by sinks shall be used) (CDM Glossary of Terms, Version 03).
There is also a general requirement of transparency in relation to the work of the Executive Board:
Subject to the need to protect confidential information, the principle of transparency should apply to all the work of the Executive Board, encompassing the timely public availability of documentation and channels through which external comments by all Parties and all UNFCCC accredited observers and stakeholders can be submitted for consideration by the Board. The posting of the Board's meetings on the Internet is one way to ensure transparency (4/CMP.1, Annex I, Rule 26).
The Executive Board and the UNFCCC Secretariat are also required to maintain publicly accessible lists of certain information:
- The Executive Board shall:
- Maintain a publicly available list of all designated operational entities (3/CMP.1, Annex, paragraph 20(c)).
- The secretariat shall maintain publicly accessible lists of:
- Parties not included in Annex I which are Parties to the Kyoto Protocol;
- Parties included in Annex I that do not meet the requirements in paragraph 31 above or have been suspended (3/CMP.1, Annex, paragraph 34).
Such information must be made available promptly:
Documentation shall be made publicly available by the secretariat via world wide web soon after transmission to members and alternate members. Availability of such documentation shall be subject to confidentiality provisions (4/CMP.1, Annex I, Rule 26).