In order to host a small-scale afforestation or reforestation (SSC A/R) project, a Party must meet both the general eligibility requirements (for all projects) and the specific eligibility requirements for afforestation and reforestation (A/R) projects:
The DOE ... shall review the project design document and any supporting documentation to confirm that the following requirements have been met:
- The participation requirements set out in paragraphs 28-30 of the annex to decision 17/CP.7 and paragraphs 8 and 9 of the modalities and procedures for afforestation and reforestation project activities under the CDM are satisfied (6/CMP.1, Annex, paragraph 14).
The general eligibility requirements are that:
- The host country is a Party to the Kyoto Protocol;
- It is participating voluntarily in the project activity; and
- It has designated a national authority for the CDM.
These are set out in 3/CMP.1, Annex, paragraphs 28-30:
- Participation in a CDM project activity is voluntary.
- Parties participating in the CDM shall designate a national authority for the CDM.
- A Party not included in Annex I may participate in a CDM project activity if it is a Party to the Kyoto Protocol (3/CMP.1, Annex, paragraphs 28-30).
The specific eligibility requirements for A/R projects are set out in 5/CMP.1, Annex, paragraph 8:
A Party not included in Annex I may host an afforestation or reforestation project activity under the CDM if it has selected and reported to the Executive Board through its designated national authority for the CDM:
- A single minimum tree crown cover value between 10 and 30 per cent; and
- A single minimum land area value between 0.05 and 1 hectare; and
- A single minimum tree height value between 2 and 5 metres (5/CMP.1, Annex, paragraph 8).
These requirements will be fixed for all A/R project activities registered before 31 December 2012:
The selected values referred to in paragraph 8 (a)-(c) above shall be fixed for all afforestation and reforestation project activities under the CDM registered prior to the end of the first commitment period (5/CMP.1, Annex, paragraph 9).
However, at EB 40, the Executive Board agreed to the following procedure on change in the selected values of minimum tree crown cover, minimum land area and minimum tree height required for hosting an A/R project activity (EB 40, paragraph 11):
- This procedure is applicable when the values referred to in paragraph 8 (a)–(c) of the Annex to Decision 5/CMP.11 were previously reported to the Executive Board by the designated national authority of a non-Annex I Party for the purpose of hosting CDM A/R project activities.
- The values referred to in paragraph 1 above may be changed if that Party is neither a Host Party for any afforestation and reforestation project activity under the CDM: (a) that was registered by the Executive Board; nor (b) for which a current request for registration has been received by the Executive Board and the registration is not yet completed or denied.
- The provisions of paragraph 8 of the Annex to Decision 5/CMP.1 shall apply mutatis mutandis for the purpose of selecting and reporting the proposed new values.
- The communication containing the proposed new values referred to in paragraph 3 above as received by the Executive Board from a designated national authority for the CDM shall be made publicly available by the UNFCCC secretariat on the UNFCCC CDM website immediately upon receipt.
- The secretariat shall confirm whether the requirements of paragraph 2 above were met at the time when the communication referred to in the paragraph 4 above was received by the Executive Board.
(a) If both requirements of paragraph 2 above were met, the secretariat shall: (i) change the values referred to in paragraph 1 above to the proposed new values referred
to in paragraph 3 above. The changed values shall be effective as of the date the secretariat received the communication containing changed values; and (ii) Make the changed values and the effective date of the change publicly available on the UNFCCC CDM website.
(b) If only the requirement of paragraph 2a was met, the secretariat shall inform the Host Party that the values referred to in paragraph 1 above may not be changed unless the project(s) referred to in paragraph 2b above is not registered.
- The provisions of paragraph 9 of the Annex to Decision 5/CMP.1 shall apply mutatis mutandis for the purpose of applying the changed values (EB 40, Annex 1).
The requirements in 3/CMP.1, Annex, paragraph 31 that apply to Annex I Parties approving the participation of public and private entities in CDM project activities also apply equally to the approval of SSC A/R project activities.