Requirements for CPAs
A Programme of Activities (PoA) is made up of component project activities (CPAs). A CPA is defined in the CDM Glossary (v.6) as:
A single measure, or a set of interrelated measures under a PoA to reduce GHG emissions by sources or result in net anthropogenic GHG removals by sinks, applied within a designated area defined in the baseline methodology(ies).
A CPA must also be capable of being uniquely identified:
Each CPA shall be uniquely identified, defined and localized in an unambiguous manner including the exact start and end date of the crediting period, by providing, at the stage it is added to the registered PoA, the information required by the registered PoA. (EB 32, Annex 38, paragraph 9)
Multiple CPAs can be included under a PoA at the time of registration and additional CPAs can be added at any point in the life of the PoA:
1. A CPA can be included in a registered PoA at any time during the duration of the PoA.
2. To include an additional CPA in a registered PoA, the coordinating/managing entity shall forward, after having ensured that all the requirements determined in the PoA and its specific CDM-CPA-DD are met, the completed CDM-CPA-DD form to any DOE for consistency checking. The coordinating/managing entity may forward more than one CDM-CPA-DD at one time. (EB 55, Annex 38, 19-22)
If a CPA is consistent with the overall PoA, the designated operational entity (DOE) can include it by uploading the project design document CDM-CPA-DD to the UNFCCC website:
This DOE shall scrutinize the information in the CDM-CPA-DD against the latest version of the PoA and documentation requirements and, if consistency/integrity is confirmed, include the proposed CPA(s) in the registered PoA by forwarding the CDM-CPA-DD to the CDM Executive Board via uploading it through a dedicated interface on the UNFCCC CDM website. Such uploads shall be grouped and not occur more frequently than once per month (EB 55, Annex 38, paragraph 24).
The CME is responsible for initially developing eligibility criteria for the inclusion of CPAs in a PoA and shall include these in the PoA design documents (e.g. CDM-PoA-DD, CDM-SSC-PoA-DD and demonstrate their usability to assess the inclusion of CPAs in the generic CDM-CPA-DD. The CME is also responsible for ensuring that the potential CPA meets all requirements of the eligibility criteria before it is included.
The eligibility criteria shall cover as a minimum the following:
1. The geographical boundary of the PoA including any time-induced boundary consistent with the geographical boundary set in the PoA;
2. Conditions that avoid double counting of emission reductions like unique identifications of product and end-user locations;
3. The specifications of technology/measures including the level and type of service, performance specifications including compliance with testing/certifications;
4. Conditions to check the start date of the CPA through documentary evidence;
5. Conditions that ensure compliance with applicability and other requirements of single or multiple methodology/ies applied by CPAs;
6. The conditions that ensure that CPAs meet the requirements pertaining to the demonstration of additionality;
7. The PoA-specific requirements stipulated by the CMEs including any conditions related to undertaking local stakeholder consultations and environmental impact analysis;
8. Conditions to provide an affirmation that funding from Annex I parties, if any, does not result in a diversion of official development assistance
9. Where applicable, target group (e.g. domestic/commercial/industrial, rural/urban, grid-connected/off-grid) and distribution mechanisms (e.g. direction installation);
10. Where applicable, the conditions related to sampling requirements for a PoA in accordance with the approved guidelines/standard for the Board pertaining to sampling and surveys;
11. Where applicable, the conditions that ensure that the CPA in aggregate meets the small-scale or micro-scale threshold criteria and remain within those thresholds throughout the crediting period of the CPA;
12. Where applicable, the requirements for the debundling check, in case CPAs belong to small-scale (SSC) or microscale project categories. (EB 70, Annex 5 paragraph 16)
The eligibility criteria shall be verifiable by the validating DOE who shall determine whether the criteria are sufficiently objective and comprehensive to allow for the assessment of the inclusion of CPAs in the PoA. The DOE and the Executive Board may specify additional considerations depending on the specifics of a PoA.
There are a number of circumstances in which the eligibility criteria may need to be updated:
1) If the boundary of the PoA is amended post-registration to include a new host Party;
2) If the Executive Board identifies an issue related to environmental integrity of the PoA;
3) At the renewal of the crediting period of a PoA, which is at the renewal of the first CPA.
The CMEs shall update the eligibility criteria as per the latest revised applicable methodology(ies) and include them in a new version of the PoA DD and new generic CDM-CPA-DD validated by a DOE. This should then be submitted to the Executive Board for approval (EB 70, Annex 5, paragraph 17-19).
The CME shall also develop and implement a management system that includes the following:
a) Clear definition of the roles and responsibilities of personnel involved in the process of inclusion of CPAs, including a review of their competencies made available to the DOE at the time of validation of the PoA;
b) Records of arrangements for training and capacity development for personnel made available to the DOE at the time of validation of the PoA;
c) Procedures for technical review of inclusion of CPAs made available to the DOE at the time of validation of the PoA;
d) A procedure to avoid double counting (e.g. to avoid the case of including a new CPA that has already been registered either as a CDM project activity or as a CPA of another PoA);
e) Records and documentation control process for each CPA under the PoA, made available to the DOE at the time of request for inclusion of the CPA;
f) Measures for continual improvements of the PoA management made available to the DOE at the time of validation of the PoA;
g) Any other relevant elements (EB 70, Annex 5, paragraph 19).
The DOE is required to confirm the eligibility of CPAs and where applicable may undertake sample-based checks in accordance with approved guidelines/standards from the Executive Board.
At the renewal of the crediting period of a PoA, the CME shall update the eligibility criteria as per the latest revised applicable methodology/ies and include them in a new version of the PoA DD and new generic CDM-CPA-DD validated by a DOE. This should then be submitted to the secretariat for approval by the Executive Board (EB 70, Annex 27, paragraph 27).