CDM Registry Administrator
The CDM registry administrator maintains the CDM registry under the authority of the Executive Board (3/CMP.1, Annex, Appendix D, paragraph 1). The establishment of the CDM registry administrator by the Executive Board was specifically requested by the COP/MOP:
The Executive Board shall establish and maintain a CDM registry to ensure the accurate accounting of the issuance, holding, transfer and acquisition of CERs by Parties not included in Annex I. The Executive Board shall identify a registry administrator to maintain the registry under its authority (3/CMP.1, Annex, Appendix D, paragraph 1).
At EB 13, the Executive Board appointed the secretariat to be the CDM registry administrator with responsibility, under the authority of the Executive Board, for implementing and operating the CDM registry (EB 13, paragraph 42).
Upon being instructed by the Executive Board to issue CERs for a CDM project activity, the key CDM registry administrator is required to:
- Issue the specified quantity of CERs into the pending account of the Executive Board;
- Forward the quantity of CERs corresponding to the share of proceeds to cover administrative expenses and to assist in meeting costs of adaptation to the appropriate accounts in the CDM registry for holding and transferring such CERs; and
- Forward the remaining CERs to the registry accounts of Project Participants and Parties involved, in accordance with their forwarding request (3/CMP.1, Annex, paragraph 66; 3/CMP.1, Annex, Appendix D, paragraph 6).
At the direction of the Executive Board, the CDM registry administrator is also responsible for making monthly reports available to:
- the Executive Board, containing aggregate information on unit holdings and transactions, by unit, transaction and account types; and
- each DNA, containing aggregate information on units holdings and transactions, by unit and transaction types, in relation to the accounts in the CDM registry associated with the Party of the relevant DNA (EB 20, paragraph 72).