The Nairobi Framework is a program initiated by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), World Bank Group, African Development Bank, and the Secretariat of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC). Its objective is to assist developing countries, especially those in sub-Sahara Africa, to improve their level of participation in the CDM.
In 1/CMP.2 and 6/CMP.2, the COP/MOP welcomed the Nairobi Framework and encouraged Parties to undertake a number of actions in its priority areas.
The Framework consists of five objectives which are considered to be priority goals to move the CDM forward in the target countries:
- Build and enhance capacity of DNAs to become fully operational;
- Build capacity in developing CDM project activities;
- Promote investment opportunities for projects;
- Improve information sharing/outreach / exchange of views on activities / education and training; and
- Inter-agency coordination.