Relevant rules and decisions
- The steps involved for the Designated Operational Entity to perform verification are set out in 3/CMP.1, Annex, paragraph 62, previously 17/CP.7, Annex, paragraph 62.
- Clarifications regarding performing verification were provided by the Executive Board in EB 26, paragraph 109.
- The restriction against a designated operational entity performing validation and verification and certification is set out in 3/CMP.1, Annex, paragraph 27(e) (previously 17/CP.7, Annex, paragraph 27(e)).
The rules for verification of small-scale projects are set out in 4/CMP.1, Annex II (originally 21/CP.8, Annex II).
- The provisions relating to verification of project activities (as discussed above) which are set out in 3/CMP.1, Annex are also adopted for the purposes of verification of emission reductions generated by small-scale projects: 4/CMP.1, Annex IV paragraph 11.
Note that 38/CMP.5 revoked Annex IV to decision 4/CMP.1. However, the Executive Board will continue to apply Annex IV until revised procedures are finalised.
Verification of afforestation and reforestation projects is defined in 5/CMP.1, Annex, paragraph 31, which replaced the draft decision 19/CP.9, Annex paragraph 31 . Other relevant rules include:
- The steps involved in performance of verification are set out in 5/CMP.1, Annex, paragraph 34.
- From the date that the first verification is undertaken, verification must be undertaken every five years until the end of the project activity's crediting period: 5/CMP.1, Annex, paragraph 32.
The simplified modalities and procedures for small-scale A/R projects are set out in 6/CMP.1, Annex (previously 14/CP.10, Annex).
- Small-scale A/R projects are defined in 5/CMP.1, Annex, paragraph 1(i).
- Small-scale A/R CDM project activities are generally governed by the same rules as specified in 5/CMP.1, Annex for regular scale A/R projects: 6/CMP.1, Annex, paragraph 3.
Requirements for validation and verification reports are set out in the Validation and Verification Manual (VVM) (EB 55, Annex 1).
EB 69, Annex 6 Guideline on the Application of Materiality in Verifications